Friday, June 24, 2011

Deut. 6:5 Prayer (Or how Jimmy Choo leads us to the Lord)

While returning a pair of so-cute-but-so-uncomfortable sandals at Nordstrom yesterday my back was turned to my children. Clearly my love of quality footwear has been passed to my 3-year-old, because when I turned around she was carrying a pair of pumps complete with what were probably real diamond sequins and squealing "Oh, Mommy, you have to get these!!" The lovely salesman behind the register almost yelped, I kid you not. I gently pried away the bedazzled beauties to discover they were in fact $695 Jimmy Choos. And they were exceptionally beautiful.
Upon finishing my transaction (with said-preschooler safely hoisted up to sit on counter) the girls and I sat down to discuss the Choo shoes. It went down something like this, right there in Nordstrom shoes.
Me: "Those shoes you found were very pretty, weren't they?"
Girls, even less-girlie big sister: "YES! Wow! And the sparkles and the heel, etc."
Me: "Do you remember our verse this week?"
Girls: "Huh?"
Me, disappointed, sings "Love Round" very quietly. Big sister is annoyed, Little sister starts singing loudly. We left singing, hopefully quieter, and I prayed while we walked out what I now call The Mall Prayer:
"Lord, your love is even more beautiful than Jimmy Choos.
Help me love you with all my heart."

No comments:

Post a Comment